Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Dozens of elk killed with a 30-06 and 165 grain Hornady spire points. Dozens…

But now I take a 300 Weatherby with 180 grain NBT when I go elk hunting. One jerk blasting through a long stalk I had worked on for nearly an hour changed all that. Now I can shoot from a half a mile away and not have to be so sneaky…

Alright Zumbo. I guess that's good enough reason to use the 300WBY. Even if you were just joking around.. Here's mine:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't know about Zumbo, but I doubt there are many people here that have killed more elk.

I don't spend much time with targets, mostly hunting and shooting critters of all sizes. The 300 Weatherby does give me the range I don't have with the 30-06, but the '06 never did let me down.

No targets to show, I just check the gun on a small rock every now and then, and then go hunting...

Private ranches and elk farms and Missouri breaks isn't elk hunting. It's elk shooting. I used to live in Gallatin area and if you have access to private property is a Prairie dog shoot more or less. Same with deer hunting up the Boulder.

I've killed more animals hitting my vehicle than I ever did hunting around private property

Well, you wasted everyone’s time posting that tidbit. In your haste to make your proficiency claim of animals hitting your car, you need to pay more attention to the theme of the thread about what “rifle” for elk. It doesn’t matter if you kill it in the mall parking lot, the question is about killing elk with a rifle not where you kill it….

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]