An old friend who had lived in Colorado a lot of years and changed job's from time to time, guiding Elk hunters in between the every day job's. Later he repped for Ithaca for 5 or 6+ years , moving to Atlanta and Dallas with Ithaca , where he went to work at a large wholesaler in Dallas, where we got together as outside road reps, before I went to Stoeger & SAKO. All he had kept to hunt with was the Browning Safari Grade 7RMg he'd used in Colorado...and yes it was loaded with some really stout reload's by one of his denver dealers for him. As heavy as the Browning was it still left an "respectful" Impression on me that I remember commenting on. He laughed and told me if I wanted to hunt Elk in the Rockies I needed to get used to something with more punch than the 243's/ 25/06's 270's I was used to using in Texas for White Tails.and made a believer of me.

Over the years I've never been able to schedule an Elk Hunt, but I've learned to respect the "Elk rifles" I've learned to shoot from the 7rmg's, and became used to a couple 300Wmg's I usually paired with a 270 as they have almost the same drop patterns at distance, but my 9.3x62 CZ never got to go to Africa as planned ...but it does nail a 200lb+ hog DRT at way past 200 yards with ease.

The funniest story about having to shoot for proof of accuracy at a TXParks & Wildlife Axis hunt was when the Hunt Manager said I've never seen one of these, what do you plan to shoot with it .... we don't have any elephants in this Park .... and stuck his grading pencil thru one of the small cluster of bullet holes in the paper target and said I guess you can shoot straight with it all right. and stamped my target as "Passed".

Today my old friend is in failing health and tied to an air tank ...but he still won't sell me his Tikka 30'06 that I had put him onto when a big local dealer closed them out at bargain basement prices 6-7 years ago.
Ron