Originally Posted by 22250rem
Back in 1970-71 while in the service I came REAL close to getting a small "USMC" tat on my upper arm. On a number of occasions and I was intoxicated every time. But I grew up surrounded by WW2 & Korea veterans and lots of them had tattoos. By the 1960's when I was a teen they were sick of them and regretted getting them. One common response was, "F*#k that; I was so damn drunk!". Or my dad's buddy when I told him his tattoo was neat when I was about 10 years old circa 1960. His response was, " Yeah, I thought it was neat, too. Back in 1943, but now I'm so damn sick of looking at it". So at age 20-21 I'm drunk and gonna get my tattoo and all I could think of was all those guys and their regrets. That's why I never got one. What I find amazing was that my dad was a U.S. Navy WW2 combat vet and he never got one. Seems like all the WW2 sailors had them.
My sailor dad didn't and he never regretted it. I had a friend who got a skull smoking a cigar on his forearm. I only saw it once when he was changing shirts. He always wore long sleeves to hide it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.