Mainly, the tattoos I'm critical of are the 'home done' by wannabe tattoo artists.

Worked at a place for a short while that had one such wannabe tattoo artist who picked up the trade in prison and after being paroled did it on cheap from his home as a side job for extra cash.

He was just so-so okay as far as his artistic ability, only worked in one color -- black/blue -- and could only do outline tattoos. What I thought was especially scary was he still used a homemade prison tattoo gun and used over the counter rubbing alcohol to sterilize equipment with between customers because he didn't have a professional commercial autoclave.

Most of his customers were young both male and female folks from work. They'd all pile up at his house trailer on Friday evening, stay drunk and high on drugs all weekend and show up to work on Monday hungover and with at least one or two new tattoos done by the prison artist tattooer.

Every pay day they'd repeat -- pickup paycheck early, buy booze or drugs or both, order in pizzas at work, head out to prison tattooists place after work, show up at work Monday, broke by Wednesday (at the latest) and start bumming cigarettes, drink money and gas money until next payday.

I've often wondered how many wound up contracting some blood-borne disease from getting tattoos on the cheap from him.