I had a very good friend who was a Navy SEAL and served in Vietnam, etc. I don't remember how it came up but once I mentioned I'd seen a number of pictures of Navy SEALs on the Internet and they all seemed to be sporting tattoos, many with the various SEAL emblems showing.

My friend said he had no tatts, but some of his teammates did. He then said that when they finished BUD/S Training, they were told by the instructors, "You may be thinking about going out now and getting some tatts. That's up to you, but, if you get even one tattoo that in any way identifies you as a SEAL, you will automatically be dropped from the Teams. Where you're going, the last thing you need is to be identified by the enemy as a SEAL."

My friend had no tatts, nor do I. I could not care less what other people do with their bodies and skin. As some have said previously, "To each his own."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)