I never understood why so many people want tats these days. I don't care what they do on their own skin I'm just not sure what drives them to want to do it.

When I very first returned from an LDS mission in 94 another missionary friend who had returned home a bit before me picked me up and we drove to Phoenix together to go to a concert. It was Metallica, candle Box and suicidal tendencies at a big outdoor venue.

We were both still looking pretty clean cut and couldn't afford the rock lifestyle look. We noticed at the time how everybody there had all their cool things to make them standout but somehow they all looked the same. We were the ones that stood out, short hair, clean shaven, no leather and spike accessories, no tats.

We also talked to several cool people that pointed out we looked like we didn't quite fit in. We told them we just got home from missions and they said they were glad to see us there enjoying some music.

We realized that in a world full of grown ups who still act like they're in junior high trying to have the coolest accessories or look the toughest the only way to stand out any more is just to go with a clean cut old fashioned normal look.

I guess between that realization and my fears of commitment I've never really been interested in tats.

Bb