To my knowledge, every PP and allocation focus group this spring recommended (with the exception of the NR groups) that we go to all limited tags. Every CPW person I talked to--including the Denver crowd--were quite amenable to the idea. Indeed it has been discussed within the CPW for a couple years now as being inevitable.

We were asked to create three priorities as recommendations, and from the info I have every resident group included limited tags for elk across the board for one of their three recommendations. It was also mentioned that CPW will put this before the Commission before the 2023 seasons and regs are set. It's not set in stone by any means but chances are better than average we will see ALL limited elk tags next year.

Here's most popular recommendations from the groups in no particular priority from the last communication I received. This is not limited to elk only, other species are generally included:

-Draw for all elk licenses. This does not mean former OTC licenses will be difficult or require PPs to draw--at least until the number of applicants continue to increase.

-Preference point banking. It may be required that to use a portion of our points will require using a minimum number of points, like 3-5 points even if it normally requires less points to draw that hunt code. Another twist is point bidding: allow hunters to bid however many points they wish for a hunt code and if their bid is the best they spend those points and bank the rest. This may apply for elk only, or other species also.

-Hybrid draw set at 2007-2009. (SS, I think that's what you're referring to in your above post) We gave CPW hell for this, and it turns out this was from a bit of politicking on the part of a one wildlife commissioner for his own benefit 15+ years ago. This one is easy so expect the Hybrid Draw to be updated starting next year. Plus expand the hybrid draw to include units that meet the criteria after 2007-2009.

-Secondary draw will use preference points. The person purchasing the license will have to have the minimum number of points that the 1st draw applicants drew out at. In my opinion this will stop the computerized purchase of secondary tags by people who don't have enough preference points. This means it will take some time for CPW to sort out the applications and do the draw. Some applicants may not know if they drew or not until shortly before the earlier seasons start.

-Require that at least one point be used for all male hunt codes.

-Eliminate the preference point hunt code—hunters could only gain a point for an unsuccessful
first choice. ( I give this one a better than average chance of passing).

-Split hunt. 50% general lottery, 50% PP.

- Implement a once-in-a-lifetime draw model for high demand units.

-Cap the number of preference points someone can possess.

-100% lottery for sheep, goat, and moose. I saw the numbers/odds for moose--i knew it was getting bad but didn't realize it was this bad. It made smoke come out my ears but I had the opportunity to review the statistics and if a 40 year old has 10 weighted PP's he has about a 5% chance of ever drawing a bull moose tag. A friend of mine failed to draw a bull moose tag and he has 31 weighted points.

-100% lottery for all big game. Beginning with a 5 year period, applicants will no longer receive PP's if unsuccessful, and will have to use their PP's sometime within that 5 year period. After that will be a 100% lottery.

-Reduce the purge time for inactive hunters to lose their points.

-Return to a pay-before-you-draw big game application model.

-Require that landowner tags be used only on the landowners property, or neighboring private
land.

-Status Quo

Proposed resident vs nonresident splits:
-90% resident/10% nonresident
-80% resident/20% nonresident
-75% resident/25% nonresident
-Change current 80% resident/20% nonresident for premium units to 90%
resident/10% nonresident and 65% resident/35% nonresident for other units to
80% resident/20% nonresident
85% resident/15% nonresident with 10% random
-Eliminate NR tags from all sheep, goat, moose, and from male pronghorn hunt codes.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.