I hope you guys are able to keep it limited like that.

We started out with pretty strict guidelines and like I mentioned we now have “ranchers” getting authorizations for as little as 2 acres. NM issues ~24,000 tags in the public draw and ~15,000 LO authorizations.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SLM
You will have every sheep org. threatening to pull all auction tags and stop leveraging project money. It got ugly here when the “hunt codes” started getting challenged.

Fight for the LO tags to the death. If “unit wide” tags ever start it is a black hole and you’ll have 2 acre “ranches” getting tags worth $15,000.

I looked up the requirement for landowner tags in CO, it sounds more restrictive than other states. To get one tag, the land must be:

Be a minimum of 160 contiguous acres of private agricultural land; AND;
Be inhabited by the species being applied for in significant numbers throughout the year or in substantial numbers for shorter times; AND;
Provide for the species being applied for: wintering habitat, transitional habitat, calving areas, solitude areas, migration corridors, or provide a forage source; AND;
Have a history of game damage or a huntable population of the species being applied for; AND;
Be within a Game Management Unit (GMU) for which all rifle licenses are totally limited for the species (deer, elk, or pronghorn) being applied for.

So, you can get one tag if you have 160 contiguous acres that fit the description above. If you have between 160 and 1240 acres you can get an additional tag that's good on private land only. To get a second tag good for public land, you need to have at least 1,240 acres and for each additional tag you need an additional 600 acres per tag.

And they cap the number of landowner tags at 10% or the total. Not ideal but it solves the 2 acre ranchette problem.