Originally Posted by ring3
I noted the pinned on one in an early pic you posted. Odds are I can handle that switch. The grinding and milling is beyond my capabilities although given the tools, time and task it might happen. Interested in playing with the rear sight notch width and depth. Need to acquire a few and experiment. Going to try sourcing them online. If unobtainable I’ll hit up the machine shop at work for some “government” jobs. Thanks.
Rob
Couple of considerations when selecting and installing a HiViz front sight: Pick the height thoughtfully. The hight the HiViz folks recommend for your particular model revolver may turn out to be a bit short if you use a taller than standard rear sight blade. The next taller front sight may be needed (too tall often turns out better than too short). Fortunately, adjustable rear sights usually have enough range to cover most discrepancies. As I recall, installation instructions suggest drilling incrementally from each side, and meeting in the middle. That is very good advice for preventing crooked or unnecessarily enlarged holes.

Shorter rear sight “take off” blades are everywhere, but not sufficient to accommodate a deepened notch. Taller blades, suitable for deepening the sight notch, are far less commonly encountered. The factory two dot blade intended for 3rd Gen. C.F. autos, when installed with the dot dimples facing forward, is excellent for J-Frames. For K-, L- and N-Frame revolvers, the factory blade made for one version of sight for the S&W Model 41 automatic works very well, and can be filed shorter if too tall for the particular use. Cold bluing juice takes care of filed sight tops and notches.

While correct sight heights can be computed mathematically, a temporary front sight, cut from a 1/8th inch thick sheet of black plastic for trial and error determination of relative sight heights, is more entertaining. The perfect set-up has the adjustable rear sight bottomed out for the heaviest bullet load to be used, so it can then be suitably elevated for lighter bullet loads without needing to adjust it so far up that it becomes awkward.

And, when removing a rear sight blade, I use a forked screwdriver I made by filling it, to engage the off-side nut. Doing that, I can regularly save the screw, rather than simply breaking the screw and replace it as is often recommended. When removing the sight blade out the right side, mind the tiny spring loaded detent plunger because, if it launches, you’ll not easily find it. Don’t ask how I learned that - and re-learned it repeatedly.

Every day’s an adventure.