Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ERK
Google 413 Wedge. Not HemI. You will see pictures with two four barrels on a cross ram intake as well as single four barrels. Edk

Yeah, 2 4bbl carbs on most, but I think you could get a center mounted single 4bbl too. At least on a Plymouth.

Really cool car.

I think what people know as the 426 "street wedge," which this one is, was a single four barrel and 365 horsepower. It was basically the same as the later 440 Magnum with 14 fewer cubic inches and 10 less horsepower. The 426 Max Wedge cars were the cars built for race with higher compression, solid lifters and 2x4 carbs. I think they were rated at either 415 or 425 horsepower, depending on configuration, and installed in the lighter "B" body platform (i.e. Belevederes).

My understanding from someone that was not a moonshiner but a young man that was often in a hurry during this era, is that a lighter Plymouth GTX (Belvedere platform) with a 440 Magnum and a 3.23 Sure Grip would peg the 150 mph speedometer and pull it back around a little ways (uncertified), which created a speed that was near the stall speed of one of these cars. The Fury police cars with 440 Magnums (similar to this car) were more like 135-140 MPH cars with the extra weight of the larger car and police equipment.

I drove newer version of the police cars you mention.

Back in the day, Texas DPS would put around 60k miles on a patrol vehicle and go get a new one. Texas DPS would have a parking lot full of used cars. If you were a Texas law enforcement agency, you could come to the lot and pick out patrol cars for your agency at a minimum price. The ones that stayed longer were sold at public auction.

My police chief and I went to get 3 of those cars once, as the tight assed city budgets wouldn't get many new cars for the same money. I think the used DPS cars were around $1500 each back then.

I knew the guy in charge of the sales for DPS and asked him which one I wanted for myself... he grinned and said "Follow me.."

He took me to a Chrysler Newport that had a 360 Premium engine with a Quadrajet carb, and air shocks in the rear to hold the weight of an aviation fuel bladder in the trunk..

I asked him what in the hell was that car used for? It also only had 49k miles on it. Looked new.

He said it was an interstate pursuit vehicle. When they would get vehicles trying to elude police out on IH10 (mostly out in west Texas while running drugs) they would get after them in that car... It blew the doors off anything, and didn't run out of gas.

I used it as a detective vehicle. DPS would paint your car for free... I chose midnight blue metallic.

Man, that car would flat out run! I don't know how fast, because the speedo pegged at 140mph, and it would take awhile to come out of that reading when you backed off.

I really wish I still had that car.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!