Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rickt300
It would have been a "Thermoquad" not a Quadrajet carb.

Could be... but the DPS mechanic called it a quadrajet, I'm sure.

They did have some aftermarket alterations on it for sure. It also had a Super Cooler radiator supplement added to it. The airshocks on the rear were a PITA to keep at a constant level. Like many air suspensions, they leaked after time...

The quadrajet was the GM 4 barrel for many years, the Thermoquad was a huge 1100 cfm 4 barrel that was actually a bit too big for small blocks but the factory put em on anyway. My first "Cuda" had one on a 340 and almost the first thing I did was to change it out for a 650 Holly, aluminum intake, Direct Connection cam, Hedman headers (sucked), replaced the 3.23 gears in the rear end for 3.83's I believe. With it's 4 speed transmission that thing was a blast to street race with. My second "Cuda" was a 73 which in the beginning was a 360 and I built it's motor 4 different ways to end up with a motor only slightly different than the one I built for the first a 1970 model. The '73 had a automatic trans I had Ronnie Martin build. The good ole days. Kids nowadays got screwed.

The cars we had before the Newports were Fury's from the same DPS source. There had to have been 100's of thousands of those run as patrol cars. (They crashed a lot of them filming Dukes of Hazzard because they could get them used up and cheap)

Never cared much for the B-Body Fury's or the latter Dodge Diplomat with the 318's.

Ford LTD's and Chevy Impalas were not too great in that era either.. frown

My old Newport was head and shoulders above all the mentioned.

One PD I was familiar with had late 70's Chevy Novas with 454's in them... You didn't try your escape skills on those cars. grin

I was given a '67 Fury II 2door hardtop but couldn't pick it up before the people moved, they living in Arkansas. Neat car, Gold with black interior and a 383 motor. The old Fury police cars were sooo easy to spot from way off. I remember when the Dallas PD was running Pontiac Leman's Can't remember the year but I sorely wanted to get one at auction but it never happened.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]