Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Cool post, John!

My first patrol car was a 1974 Plymouth Fury Police Interceptor with the 440 (don't recall if it was a Wedge or a Hemi) and a Thermoquad. If you floored it was a dog off the line, pouring black smoke from both tailpipes until you hit about 95mph when the engine started burning most all of the fuel that monster carb was dumping.
If I was doing under 45mph and floored it, the transmission would downshift and it wouldn't hit high gear until right at 100mph. I was clocked on radar once at 146 mph on VASCAR at 147mph on another occasion. At those speeds, it would float, making the steering even lighter than normal.
It had sheit for brakes though, and you'd better use them sparingly when running at speed 'cause they would fade fast and make life very interesting.

Then the bureaucrats decided we needed more efficient patrol cars, so we got Ford Fairmonts with a 302ci V8. They had a whopping 139hp and one of the other officers claimed he actually reached 115mph, but had no witnesses, so we called him a liar since none of the rest of us could do over 100mph.
Oh, and try to put a big prisoner in the back seat of one of those matchboxes...

Ed

If you hadda Toyota Camry today, you'd take it in for warranty repairs if it performed like a '74 Fury 440.

'74/440:

0-60 - 8.1 sec.

1/4 mile - 16.1 sec.

0-124 mph top speed - 47.1 sec.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/...440_v8_police_interceptor.html#gsc.tab=0