Rio7. My first elk was about 18 years later than you (66). Since then, 30-06, .308, 7mag, 45- 70,30-30, 44 mag carbine, .375 Winchester, 3 different 50 cal muzzle loaders. More than a few, buy not as many as some. From 15 yards to almost 400. I could never tell much difference in how they died, as long as I put the bullet where it needed to go and found they were not hard to kill. As shown I am not a fan of smaller caliber/light weight bullet rounds.

This past season was the first elk season I missed as far as I can remember and not of my choosing. I don't hunt out of state, I have only been one guided hunt in my life and that was required in Alberta. My success rate is probably 90% +.

I came close to hitting an elk with a little Subaru Hatchback years ago, but lucked out when she dodged. Deer , 3 so far in my life. I hit none of them. They all hit me. One jumped on the hood of a 56 Chevy off a bank. One jumped into the wheel well, driver's side door of a 98 Dodge truck, and the last one jumped into the side of my horse trailer.

There are some members here that if you say some thing contradicting to their ideas, it is like pulling on Superman's cape and they have a large following. So I don't d say much about them.There are more than a few here that have a lot of elk hunting under our belt.

Have good year.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/25/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles