Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jfw042: Don't YOU give up Elk Hunting because of other "Hunters" bad behavior. I suggest doing what I started doing decades ago - get into the backcountry via horse or humping on foot.
And by backcountry I mean 5 miles in.
Haven't been "offended" by "slob Elk Hunters" (both resident and non-resident!) since.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

In Colorado, that 5 miles isn't much different than 2-3 miles now. It is hard to find a drainage without either an outfitters camp or 4-5 DYI er's camps. That is in Wilderness areas. Colorado does not have the big wilderness areas that WY, MT had. If you go in 6-7miles, you will meet, riders, pack strings and even foot hunters coming in from the other side.

I did that 5-7 miles in for years, with a small pack string. Finally gave it up, and in the last years, camped at the trail heads and rode in3 miles or so. I found areas that the foot hunters would not hunt and the big pack strings passed.The secret is get in there first before anyone. Which means a lot of riding in the dark.Then ambush those elk as they head for their hidey holes. In Colorado, you hunt the elk by determining what they do and where they go because if hunter pressure.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/27/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles