Originally Posted by jfw042
What is it about elk that makes people stupid? Do elk release some type of pheromone that erases any bit of intelligence? Seriously people, they are elk. Really big deer. Not some sort of mythical, manhood enhancing aphrodisiac. What is it about elk that make people drive over/through fences, cut the same fences, trespass, become combative and belligerent when told no (if they bother to ask) , they can't shoot the one cow elk standing in the middle of a group of several cattle between two houses. What is it about elk that makes people buy 10's of thousands of dollar's worth of vehicles, gear, and equipment so they can then spend days driving up and down anything that resembles a road or trail hoping that they can shoot an elk crossing the road with their new 87 mega magnum with the Hubble telescope mounted on top. I have hunted elk for the last +/-40 years, after what I saw this last general season, it is likely I won't again.

That is a shame. Maybe people in general are getting dumber? I was just at the local range a bit ago testing out a new rifle and there were 2 guys at the range shooting as well. I was done shooting and put my stuff away, then told them that when they need to check their target, we'd call a cold range. They agreed. As we started to head to the targets, one of the younger guys loaded a cartridge in his rifle and laid it on the bench pointing towards the targets. I asked if he would open the bolt and take the ammo out of the chamber, as that is pretty much customary at any range. Open bolt so you can see that it's clear. He didn't look like he was happy that I asked, but I believe some people need to be educated. He was younger and stupid like you are saying. It's sad to see hunters doing stupid and unsafe things like you say.
Originally Posted by SMalloy805
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Killing them isn't hard, finding takes a little more doing. All the gun gack in the world won't help you doing that.
Saddlesore Nails it, as usual.

I completely agree with this^^^ Right before popping my last bull, I was thinking to myself, "IF I see one, it's going down". Making the shot is cake. Finding them, not so much. Especially in a unit with 4% hunters success.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA