Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
My A bolt has a 1:10 twist so I'm guessing I'm gonna be limited to 130gr and less. Has anyone had any luck with anything heavier in a 1:10?
Hi Ghostman, I have the same rifle and have done a fair amount of testing, JB himself sent me the numbers showing a 140 ought to work ok in this rig. I was getting great results with 140 Gamekings and 44.5 grains H4831sc. Mind the coal limits of the magazine though.

I was stupid for not trusting my lying eyes and worrying about twist. Reading too much from this site. I went to 120's and while they work I much prefer the 140SGK.
That combo was like magic in dropping things right there compared to any of my other calibers and combos. Absolute text book.

Since the shortages I have had to bounce around powders and bullets. I bought the Speer Deep Curls but found they are more for Grendel speeds so sold them.
My latest effort took some doing but I found some 140 Hot Cores and been trying Accurate 4350 since I couldn't find H4350....which I bought because I couldn't find IMR4350.
For the heavier bullets like 140grain I think H4831sc is the way to go. It is not hard to find now.
If interested my latest best loads with Accurate 4350 is 42 grain with the Speer HC 140.

I been fidgeting with COAL and for both 140's am setting it at 2.765.

Oh lastly, not sure how long you have had the A-bolt and if it is wood or synthetic. I loved the skinny feel of the factory synthetic but it kicked hard for a 260 so I swapped the pad. It was still not consistent and I found it was very finicky about where you rested the stock. I swapped it out for a Bell and Carlson stock and first time at the range got a 3 shot one hole group and an offer from the guy next to me to buy the rifle. Recoil was drastically cut too.

I did one other mod and that was to buy the Timney (if I recall) trigger spring replacement kit. Two springs- take your pick. I replaced the factory spring- took about two full minutes and adjusted. Super crisp light trigger now. Worth it.

Got a nice rubber sling that makes carrying it a breeze. S&K mounts, which I think are the most attractive, for my Vx3. Love the way the magazine box works , the 60° bolt throw, tang safety and crisp trigger. I know your die hard Alaskan bush people hate this rig but it suits me and my climates to a 'T".

Don’t let people fool you, I know and have hunted with a few Alaskans that carry an A-bolt or x-Bolt up here. Bought my oldest an X-Bolt in 6.5 PRC for Christmas in 21, nice shooting rig.

Nice to know. You want to tell Stick or should I? LOL

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius