Originally Posted by kandpand
I am a rifle loony and I have bought, sold, and traded numerous rifles trying to find the perfect one. I have come to believe that there are too many variables to find the perfect rifle for every circumstance. I have owned three Howa Mini's, carbon stocks, slimed down stock, bottom metal. They were almost perfect but I wanted stainless. Maybe now I can start again and find that "perfect" rifle.

yes, slab/flute/hollow bolt handle on the stainless, timney trigger for the single stage and proper knurled safety (not cheap stamped tin with no grippy), I would skip the stocky's carbon since I have one and the makers of barbie dolls could do better, go with Pendleton for an extra 2 oz and at least you can pick your options/lop/colors etc. and have a proper feeling stiffer stock worthy of the metal going on it, and likely you'll need Jeffersons hinged bottom kit in a stainless color finish instead of black, tie it all together with a quality smith/bed job and would be pretty perfect, oh and have a machinest copy the talley low lightweights in 7075 lol for rings, but actually I found even better alignment slightly lower with Burris xt steel bases (no overhang) and weaver detach top mount rings...I don't think talley does x-low? I'd have to check it all again but surely have the lowest talley here in multiple sets and just recently went for robust squared on mine so ended up happier and lower surprisingly better snap shot alignment with the bases/weavers...fyi

these freaking howa's are such money pits, the definition of fack around and find out, not sure why they can't do it right the first time? I gravitated towards things I didn't have to fack with out of the box, on the low end that's a ruger American ranch for a mini, and as long as you can handle a standard short action cartridge then the sako 90 peak is on the high end, I'm personally done with howa, too late to the party to care, will beat on the last one I have and loan out etc. but will drive the ranch grendel when I feel blue collar and the sako 308 when I'm feeling more white collar

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 01/19/24.