Brad, do you think I got my opinion from Katie Couric? I didn't read through the whole Al Haynes interview, but here's a little piece of it:
...the question. We kept saying we think we had the elevators under control. We never had the elevators under control. We thought we did, but we didn't. ... So you see, with those two things to work with--one engine, and the other--just getting the airplane on the ground was a tremendous piece of luck. Amazing. ... and it happened to work, so we got the airplane, at least, to an airport....

Why don't you read through the whole thing a pick something that illustrates Chesley Sullenberger couldn't have done the same thing Al Haynes did under the same circumstances?

Katie Couric indeed.

...The [NY] plane splashed into the frigid water about three minutes after hitting the birds.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123225944977193793.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Originally Posted by tjm10025
...IMO, a hero is a guy who does something he's not trained to do, isn't expected to do, and doesn't have to do, at the risk of his life when doing nothing at all would have meant no risk to him at all, even to his reputation. ...
I wish you'd explain this in relation to Chesley Sullenberger or Al Hayes. Or if I'm misunderstanding you, who is a hero in your eyes?