Hero Etymology:
The literal meaning of the word is "protector", "defender" or "guardian"[citation needed] and etymologically it is thought to be cognate with the name of the goddess Hera, the guardian of marriage; the postulated original forms of these words being *ἥρFως, hērwōs, and *ἭρFα, Hērwā, respectively. It is also thought to be a cognate of the Latin verb servo (original meaning: to preserve whole) and of the Avestan verb haurvaiti (to keep vigil over), although the original Proto-Indoeuropean root is unclear. According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the Indo-European root is ser meaning "to protect". According to Eric Partridge in Origins, the Greek word Hērōs "is akin to" the Latin seruāre, meaning to safeguard. Partridge concludes, "The basic sense of both Hera and hero would therefore be 'protector'."

Given Chesley Sullenberger protected 150+ people I'd consider him a hero.

BTW, living in Ft. Rucker's back yard I'm proud chopper pilots aren't as cocky as jet pilots. I've had the honor of meeting a bunch of them. One, Hondo64, now a Long Bow instructor and close friend, could tell story after story of surreal combat experiences, as could Colonel Billy Stevens "Head Hunter" (local gunsmith and benchrest champ too). And yes, that would be up close and personal live combat with anti aircraft fire glowing. That said, you have to pry it out them. Never would their signature look like a jet jockey's.