AMX... Why would I quote Al Haynes? All you did was look up interviews about him. I know more about that accident then you do. Did you know that there was a DC-10 instructor on the plane that was really no help to the crew? Why? Becuase when the Flight Attendant called him from the back of the airplane and told him what had happened he said it was impossible. Ive also had a beer on a layover with on of the Flight Attendants who survived the crash. She was more heroic then the USAir crew. All the USAir crew did was land a perfectly good flying airplane in the water. If you knew anything about aviation you would know that it isn't as amazing as the media says... I watched a guy with less then 150 hours gear up a plane because the landing gear wouldn't come down. He nailed it and I was the first person to the airplane when it stopped skidding down the runway. He wasn't even shaken up. What the USAir crew did was nothing amazing. They did a great job, but it was not what the media makes it.

As far as pilots only carrying about their own asses.. Well, thats mostly correct. If you know your gonna crash your obviously not gonna take out a bunch of inocent people on the ground, but otherwise, if I walk off the plane, the passengers walk off the plane. I take care of me, and the pax are taken care of.