Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Come on blaine, all you get is an atta boy? I see in your signature you got 14 ribbons not to mention stars and clusters. If all you get is an atta boy, why have those? Why have awards like the medal of honor or bronze star, etc? the military is just doing there job. I dont buy it.

Yes this is what certain professions train for but how many times does it come into play?

Take the CG swimmers for example, they are trained to go into the water to save someone. What those guys do in the bering sea and other areas, maybe there job but it is above and beyond. I dont care how you look at it. Not natural to jump out of a helo in 50ft seas and swim just to help a stranger. true heros to me.

None of the ribbons I have are for anything heroic. The Medal of Honor is for actions above and beyond the call of duty, not for just doing your job--as diffficult and dangerous as it may be--well.

Perhaps those of us from the Military and professional pilot world have a higher standard for what we consider heroic. Lord knows our egos are big enough as they are without everyone considering us as heroic every time we handle an emergency......... grin