I am generally not somebody who likes to rep up my post count but I sure like the fact that I can drop no 500 on this one.

I just re-read the Rifle book by Cactus Jack. It sure is a great read. He really provides his rationale for the 270 Win. It was related to loads, pressure and an interest in shot effect on animals. He actually liked many different larger caliber guns like the 450 Watts. He actually also shoots a 470 Nitro double and notes the great ability of the 465 no. 2.

He also really likes the 375 HH and makes an argument for it as a one rifle one world gun.

I gauge that Jack seriously felt that moderation and shooting skill needed to be developed by the general public and he conveyed this in his writing. Elmer was more of an innovator. He noted what he liked and passed it on to Remington and Winchester. Jack would take a product and send it off to somebody to fix it up so it was set just for him.

Elmer was very much influenced by his first major trip to Alaska where many bears were wounded with 06 guns with poor bullets. He kind of argued for the 33 caliber version of 06. Not really much for different in the total of things.

The article that Elmer wrote about the Big Five is one of the best that I have read on Africa. You kind of get a feeling that Elmer is loading all of his chips on this trip and spend quite some time making it memorable.

This stuff sure is fun.

Sincerely,
Thomas