I was lucky enough to spend time in both of their homes.

In 1971 I was 21. I met Mr O'Connor by calling directory assistance, getting his number, and driving about 5 hours. He said he would give me an hour. When I arrived in Lewison he met me at the front door and took me out back to his study. He was tall, gruff, and polite but not too eager. He had a deep booming voice. After we visited about 30 minutes, he knew I had read everything he had written and had committed it to memory. I addition I asked questions rather than argued. We ended up visiting for nearly four hours. He took me thru his home and took me upstairs. He had a desk there where he did most of his writing. He also had one very old dictation machine. He seemed to enjoy the visit nearly as much as I did. He did tell me that he never knew what was going to show up at his front door and that he really disliked those who felt it necessary to debate (argue) with him. We corresponded until his death.

I met Mr Keith because I had a summer job that took me in and out of Salmon. Everyone in town knew where he lived. I think I called first. He asked that I stop by right after dinner. We sat on the front porch and his wife brought out two very big bowls of vanilla ice cream. I saw him at least two more times and the pattern was always the same. His wife was a school teacher whereas Mr Keith had little formal education. She rewrote all of his articles for Guns & Ammo. He always had his 4" 44 Smith on his hip. There was a hole in his favorite leather chair where the handgun had rubbed.

Both were very kind and generous. O'Connor had a very quick wit. Our conversation covered a wide range of things. He was much more technically aware than I thought. He told me that he wrote to educate the novice rather than discuss fine points. He mentioned that his writing covered a four year cycle of topics. Keith was very concrete. Talking with him was just like reading his writings. He said the same things.

I did handle O'Connor's 6mm Rem, both 270's, a mauser 30/06, a 375 and a Rigby. I didn't ask to look at Keith's sidearm. It was more like an extension of him...too personal for such a request.

Last edited by RinB; 06/27/10. Reason: grammar

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.