Kevin Jay,

Don't know where you get your information that O'Connor "was tossed out like last weeks haddock dinner." Probably the same place as "the list of better writers with vastly more experience."

To set the record straight, I'll give it to you straight from O'Connor's pen. "In 1972 I was 70 years old. The Popular Science Publishing Company had been bought by Times-Mirror. When the fine print of the contract was thoroughly gone over it was found that those of us on the staff who were over 65 would have to retire by June 1 if they were to receive pensions warranted by their age. If they stayed on the staff after that and then retired they would lose considerable money--in my case around $175 a month. Bill Rae and I made a deal. I'd retire but my name would be on the masthead as hunting editor. I would write six to eight stories and articles a year for a good fee and on subjects of my own choosing, including guns and shooting.

A year after I retired as gun (shooting) editor Bill Rae himself reached 65 and decided to put himself out to pasture. As his successor he chose a young man who had been managing editor under him. This guy seemed amiable enough but he was not a hunter, not a fisherman, and not a writer. He had never struck me as a person of great force. I told Bill I didn't think he would do. He did not agree with me.

The first thing he did was to write me and tell me that since Outdoor Life had a new shooting editor he didn't want me to do any gun or shooting stuff for the front of the book. This was contrary to a signed agreement I had but I said nothing. Next he wrote me that he wanted to be able to put his finger on me at any time. I was to call him and get his permission if I left my desk. Again I said nothing. Then I sent in the first piece I had written since his take-over. I got it back with four pages of instructions about how it should be rewritten.

At any rate when I had read the editor's letter I realized that if I stayed with Outdoor Life it would be like being nibbled to death by rabbits. I made a telephone call and told the editor I was leaving. (As an aside, Al Biesen was present during O'Connor's call to Outdoor Life and told me about it) I made another call to George Martin soon to be publisher of the newly-hatched magazine, Hunting--I was added to the staff and this was one of the most fortunate moves I have ever made!" O'Connor related all this in the Outdoor Magazines chapter of his The Last Book. It can be found on pages 27 and 28.

TT