Originally Posted by Ken Howell
If you're hunting more for meat than for trophy, you don't want your game full of adrenalin. The worst game meat that I ever tried to eat had finally succumbed to a couple of my friends' inadequate rifles. Good placement resulted in death that wasn't sudden enough.

Heads on the wall don't suffer from an excess of adrenalin in the meat. "Dead in a few minutes" is as good as "dead now" when the skillet isn't a foremost consideration.

I've eaten old critters that were easy to chew and gentle on the taste buds because they never felt what had hit 'em.

Like Elmer, I'd like for my game to be dead before my bullet comes out the other side � an effect that isn't likely to occur but still worth trying for. I've always liked my friend Jack McPhee's description of a caribou that "dropped like an arm load of wet fish nets." I killed a goat that went down like that � NOT with a .22 Long Rifle or .25-20!

Then there's the humaneness of an instantaneous kill. I don't owe it to any critter to kill it, but I owe it to any critter that I kill to kill it as nearly painlessly as I can.

Couldn't agree more. Heck, I let lobsters in cheap chablis before I throw them in. No flapping tails in boiling water any more.