WOW the timing on this thread is perfect as I just last night finished reading my first O'Connor works (Lost Classics). I've really enjoyed reading this thread and getting insight from some of you who knew these guys. O'Connor was good at telling a story and I enjoyed reading the book, it was really an insight into bygone days. I realize that Jack was a very prolific writer and this book was a very limited example but a few thoughts came to mind after reading his works;

- cats, buffalo, elephant, plains game and more in Africa, North American Sheep, bear, elk, deer, cats, caribou, tigers in India, sheep in Iran, etc....what a life!! You can argue that he was privileged or not all I know is I would love to experience any of these hunts!!

- he seemed very interested in being in the record books, inches of horn and placement of animals in the all time records seemed very important to him

- With all the discussion of him preaching perfect shot placement he wasn't shy about recounting bad shots (leg hits, hind qtrs, gut shots), not sure if it was due to him seemingly having a willingness to shoot at running animals (at short and LONG range) or not but have to give him credit for relaying the story as it happened, seems today all I read about and see on TV are one shot perfect hits at ever increasing distances.

- I enjoyed how he included detailed equipment, load and bullet info into his stories

Few Questions:
-Did Jack ever develop any liking for the 257? He was very down on it when mentioned in this collection?
-What became of all the pictures and movies he took? His guns and mounts?

Elmer Keith was also just a little before my time, and I've never read him, can someone recommend a good place to start?

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!