Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Did he show you all the record book critters he killed ? Must have been a lot since he got to go to all those good hunting places on somebody else's dime .

Different professions carry with them different benefits....we don't bemoan the airline pilot who flies for free;nor the hunting outfitter from British Columbia who swaps a grizzly hunt with his contemporary in Wyoming or Montana for a Rocky Mountain bighorn hunt.......

Yet some small minds cannot resist the temptation to take a backhanded slap at a gun writer of substantial prominence who, in the course of his employment and profession(which he earned by being skilled at his craft)had the opportunity to avail himself of a free hunt.Forgotten is the fact that a likewise benefit incurred to the outfitter, in publicity,.... to the magazine for which the writer wrote, providing entertainment to untold thousands and fueling dreams of similar hunts,and of course to the writer as well.I see nothing reprehensible in all of this,and the writer is not in any way diminished in my mind.

I suspect this attitude prevails among those unable to do such hunts for any variety of reasons,jealous of the benefits flowing to others as a result of their lifes work.

To depracate a great writer, who helped popularize our sport,educated and entertained untold thousands(millions?) over two or three generations,and who,even three decades after his death, is still the subject of great conversation, is carping and sniping at the highest level,and the work of morons.

Spot on BobinNH, you hit it out of the park!!!!!!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first