I certainly didn't know either man, but from the age of 9 read their respective columns/articles and learned much of what I know, or think I know, from them.

I have copies of Gunnotes Volume I and II. In the back of each are letters, mostly from Jack O'Connor to/from Truman Fowler and Elmer Keith to/from Truman Fowler. A lot of rancor is exhibited in these letters between O'Connor and Keith. But only one letter is actually FROM O'Connor to Keith, and only one from Keith to O'Connor.

In O'Connor's letter to Keith, written in I believe around 1970 or 1971, O'Connor says something to the effect of "You like bigger guns than I do, but that's neither here nor there. You ought to write your life story, Elmer. You've led an interesting life and one that will never be lived by anyone again." Keith replied that O'Connor wasn't the first one to suggest that and he just might do so.

In another letter to Truman Fowler, O'Connor writes that "Keith ought to be able to help you get published; he wields enormous influence and was important in the development of the pre-64 M70, the .44 magnum, and the .338 Win." He then said that he didn't truly dislike Elmer and was rather disappointed that Elmer hated him so much.

I think that their feud may have lost some of it's vitriol as the men grew older. Then again, both may have recognized the value in their printed sparring. I wonder how many times one or the other used the battle to help get an article flowing!

I miss them both, have many of their books, and consider each influential in teaching me about firearms.

Last edited by 300_savage; 06/23/10.