Well I told Dwayne I would help out in this post, but then forgot......

I guide for moose, goats and bears here in BC and have been doing it for 11 years. Over that time I have been privileged to meet a lot of down to earth hunters from all over. Been lucky to see a lot of great country, watch a large number of different animals and been in on the harvest of a lot of "Firsts"

Another thing I have been doing is learning the business and watching outfitters come and go.

For anyone who is thinking about a moose or goat hunt here in BC, I will post up a few tips;

Decide what you are looking for, a Mt Goat or a moose. Depending on what you decide will determine the best time to go. Earlier in Sept, the mountains will (should be...)snow free, the goats will be just getting their winter coats and billies will be by themselves. The downfall for moose, is they are not rutting, so it is spot and stalk. However, you are limited to where you can go and if the moose are in the thick stuff, it can be a hard hunt.

If you go later in Sept/early Oct, you are beginning to play with the weather. Last year we had lots of snow and rain by Sept 25th, goat hunting pretty well stopped then. Just too dangerous. However, it is prime moose rut and they are much more active and come to the call readily.

By mid Oct, the goat hunting is done and the moose rut is winding down....pretty well done. Also, depending on elevation, the lakes will start to freeze up.

This is all for the interior and Northern BC. Mt goat hunting on the Coast or Southern BC can go right into the winter and in some places up to Feb.

If you fly-in, ask about the flight back out with your meat. You are usually limited to a certain # of bags and weight, so make sure that you are not surprised by an extra cost for a meat flight. Some places will even charge for elk, caribou or moose antlers. All these costs can add up quick.

As has been said, ask for references that have been to the same area and hunted the same species, and make sure you ask for hunters who were not successful. Ask the references how the food was, who the guide was and how were they, the accommodations, the hunting method, quality of the overall hunt and would you go back again, if not why??.

In a fly-in hunt, remember that you are limited to the area around the lake (unless you have access to horses or ATV's), you cannot move if there is no animals, so always be prepared to accept that as the guide cannot control the animals....or the weather.

This is just basic info and it will vary from location and outfitter, but it does cover the basics.

I will add more later about booking a hunt and what to look for and the questions to ask.

I can help with anymore info, just send me a PM w/you email addy and I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD