Originally Posted by Ackman
Doesn't much matter if it's just towing average stuff. But don't kid yourself, a 7.3 has nowhere near the power of newer trucks. The 7.3's and older 5.9's are good engines but agree or not, as daily drivers they were also slow pigs and noisy clattery things.

Sounds like you have plenty of money to upgrade diesels when you please. I'm serious when I say good for you. I love the new ones too.
That said, I love my old '02 Excursion Ultimate diesel with the 7.3. I like them so much this is my second one. I've done some mods that certainly weren't expensive, and now it's very quiet, is fast enough for me, and pulls all I ask it to, and I tow often. It has a mild tune and easily pulls a big twin-engine offshore boat, even through the mountains. Unloaded I get 20 mpg if I keep my foot out of it and stick to 2000 rpm.
The cheapest new Ford diesel on the lot I've seen here is about $50K, and they go up from there. My Ex has been paid for for 7 years and has less then 100K miles. I think I'll keep the slow clattery pig. They can't be all that bad; it's funny how so many folks seem to want to buy it out from underneath me....... grin