The 6.0 Ford has really gotten a bum rap. THe same engine minus the emissions controls was installed in plenty of school buses without a hiccup. The problems started with Ford and Navistar not properly training techs/ not paying to keep qualified techs enough to stay in the dealerships to work on these trucks. Part 2 is once problems did start to occur, Ford wanted to penny pinch on doing warranty work on the 6.0, so when say a EGR started to stick open, feeding hot exhaust gas back into the engine, causing the cheap headbolts to stretch, casuing blown head gaskets from either towing or hot rodding, Ford only wanted to replace the EGR cooler, and possibly replace the headbolts. Nothing would be done to address the possible antifreeze in the oil, which would wreck the injectors, hpop, and oil cooler. Maybe not right away, but the damage was started. Same way with a leaking egr cooler. Now, the eingine is sucking coolant into the engine, or blowing hot exhaust in the coolant system, causing hot pockets during towing or hot rodding, and the same systems are prone to failure. Given the number of Super Dutys on the road, and you can see why the 6.0 is a 'junk motor'. The early Duramax had similar issues, but GM didn't sell as many trucks, and their warranty really took care of the owner. My neighbor has an '05 with a Edge box and beats the snot out of the truck. He shoved the head gaskets, and GM covered everything.

I have an '05 6.0 and love it. It has been worked on to eliminate the issues the 6.0 had to bring Ford into the era of clean diesels. If you get serious about the 6.0, PM me, I'll point you in the right direction.