Originally Posted by JFKinYK
exbio - from my understanding, you can own an AR-15 or handgun, but you must complete extra training (to get a "restricted" firearms license) and then you can only use a restricted firearm at an approved gun range - and no where else. You must also have authorization to transport such a firearm to and from the range.

There are certain firearms that are "prohibited", meaning you can't own them no matter what. Someone else might be able to dig up a list of those.

For general hunting shotguns and rifles, you complete a weekend course and take a test, giving you a license for "non-restricted" weapons meaning you can legally buy, sell, use and possess non-restricted firearms. This must be renewed every 5 years by simply filling out a form.

Being an American living in Canada, who spends a great deal of time in the northern bush, I find it weird to not carry a sidearm of the handgun variety for all sorts of useful purposes, but it is what it is.

In accordance with the Firearms Act, a new firearms safety course focusing on restricted firearms (primarily handguns) was developed and implemented on February 1, 1999. The legislation stipulates that individuals wishing to acquire restricted and/or prohibited firearms must take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) and pass the tests OR challenge and pass the CFSC and the CRFSC tests without taking either course.

Topics covered in the CRFSC include:

�the evolution of firearms, major parts, types and actions;
�basic firearms safety practices;
�ammunition;
�operating handgun actions;
�firing techniques and procedures for handguns;
�care of restricted firearms;
�responsibilities of the firearms owner/user; and
�safe storage, display, transportation and handling of restricted firearms.

If you know a little bit about firearms it is a pretty easy test so my recommendation is to just challenge it without the course, which is what I did.

Last edited by n007; 12/20/12.