Originally Posted by kutenay
Frankly, a selective fire rifle/carbine with even 40 rd. mags is not a very sound choice in a defensive situation. It's "utility"is largely a fantasy derived from the contemporary "ninja" media culture which has subsumed much of North America's gun culture, to our detriment.

Such a gun, if used frequently on "full rock and roll" as the wannabes call it, will soon burn out the throat of it's bbl. and lose accuracy. It is a tool designed for contaminating a large area with projectiles to wound the enemy and thus engage a larger number of troops in caring for their comrades, rendering them less of a threat. It is useful in military applications, but, is not much good for careful, legal home defence.

I might add that one cannot be "safe"from an armed enemy, unless the S.O.B. is either DEAD or severely wounded and ONE precise hit in a vital area is STILL the best means to that end.

A good field shot with a sound hunting rifle, an extended mag. repeating shotgun and a good handgun can defend his home more effectively than some tattooed weirdo with a "black gun" that he owns to project a quality of manhood that he so pathetically lacks....the BC Lower Mainland is full of 5'5"-145 lb. "kewl dudes" of exactly this sort.......

Kutes,

too bad half the good folks of Canada and half the good folks on our side the border.. didn't have your level of common sense...

I live where I can buy such rifles and such hand guns.. yet I don't own them for the exact reasons you posted above...

plus if ever needed those types would quickly find themselves also out of ammo..

for those that want to be lethal in defense of their family and homes, they should also really learn about first aid treating combat gunshot wounds... also about Anatomy and Physiology... and more about what kind of performance that bullets can perform in the best of scenarios..

I suggest all of that, as I was a trained basic combat medic and a highly advanced trained medic for a variety of scenarios to include Nuclear Biological and Chemical Warfare...and have also completed the Green Beret Medic Course..

The suggestion of that training if one wants to survive, lets you know where to hit a threat and how to put them down quickly, with a wide variety of available resources, regardless of how much 'body armour' they may be wearing...slow moving bullets like a 22 mag will go thru a lot of body armour available out there...

a slow moving varmint bullet can do a lot of damage to tissue in all directions... a varmint bullet hitting a leg can take down someone and cut a major artery or vein quite quickly...

there is about 6 litres of blood within the human body...so it takes little time to "bleed out" if something major is hit to open up the enclosed system of our circulatory system...

maybe morbid to speak of... but much more effective, than Rambo and his tattoos and full auto AK or AR...

besides if anyone has fired one of those on full auto at a target at 100 meters, they'll find they won't have much of a 'group'... so it is easy to unload a mag and not hit a darn thing you are aiming at...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez