Originally Posted by reelman
IMO energy is a big factor but you need to use common sense also. A FMJ 308 has a ton of ME but it doesn't transfer much of the energy because there is not expansion so it zips right through with most of it's energy going into the ground. A 45acp has much less energy but will most likely deliver all it's energy into the animal as it won't pass through. But now take a properly designed 308 bullet and see the terminal results.

I think the point of this thread is that a 32 or 380 is not a good self defense round. And while anyone with half a brain would prefer something much larger for self defense but carrying a 1911 is not always a viable option and I would prefer to carry a 32 or 380 (or even a 22) as opposed to carrying nothing at all.

There are 2 types of collisions "elastic" and "inelastic" a bullet strike is an "inelastic" collision most of the kinetic energy is transformed into thermal energy, some to sound, etc only a small untraceable amount of energy is transferred. Momentum is always transferred. The amount of frontal area of the bullet for the amount of "crushed tissue" the amount of hydraulic pressure (a function of velocity) and the amount of direct applied force are what creates the wound channel.

Kinetic energy is not measurable as this clearly illustrates

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first