Originally Posted by jwp475

You are missing the point the 380 is anemic to the point of not being adequate to defend yourself or your loved ones from a determined attacker

Have you ever shot an animal with one in the hunting fields? I think not judging by your posts.

No not adequate is a fact and not an opinion, you not accepting the fact does not make the fact invalid. It is also a fact that an inadequate firearm is better than no firearm. A 357 mag is not an adequate revolver for protection against big Alaska grizzly/Brown bears but I know of one case where it stopped and attack after being shot in the mouth the bear simply walked away. 2 weeks latter fish and game had no located the bear.

The 45 ACP loaded properly is not inadequate in the scenario that this thread is discussing but the 380 definitely is inadequate to argue otherwise is simply ridiculous

You are still going back to the false premise that shooting a deer in a hunting situation is the same as defending yourself against some undetermined level of aggressive behavior by one or several humans. Those are two different scenarios that do not overlap very much. Your saying that they are the same does not make them so. The purpose of the deer hunting firearm is to kill quickly. The purpose of a defensive weapon is to stop the aggression. Those are two completely different things.

Why in the world would I want to try to shoot Bambi with a 380 or a 45 ACP when I have so many much better chamberings available. I have put down wounded deer with a 9mm and a 22 but would certainly not choose either one as my main hunting arm.

Let me ask you something. Would you advance aggressively on a person holding a 380 or even a 22 pointed at you? If your answer is "no", then the 22 is adequate in that situation.

Would you and ten of your armed fellow gang members charge aggressively at a single person holding a 45? If the answer is "yes", then a 45 is inadequate in that situation. Would the fact that it is a 45 and not a 380 make any difference to you and your gang members?

We could "what if" all day long and find plenty of situations in which the 380 is adequate and others in which the 45 is not. We could also find a bunch in which the 380 is not adequate and many in which the 45 works quite well. Making the blanket statement that a 380 is inadequate and that a 45 is adequate is unrealistic.

I am certainly not suggesting that a 380 is as capable of killing a human quickly in as many situations as is a 45 ACP. Many times, however, stopping an aggression does not require the sudden death of the aggressor. Having in hand a smaller, handier, more concealable, and lower powered weapon is generally much better than having no weapon at all.