Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Notropis

We are discussing extreme situations and should not be. You can never cover all bases in all the extreme situations that are possible. There is also a big difference between going out looking to kill something and trying to get yourself out of a situation that has been unexpectedly thrust upon you.

The reason one carries a pistol is for extreme cases. Any confrontation that has a lethal potential is an extreme case and that is why we arm ourselves in the first place. Therefore a pistol that houses and shoots and adequate cartridge is the proper choice

Case closed

Case not closed.

I carry a variety of weapons based on what I am likely to encounter.

I have a 44 Mag with me on the farm all the time because of what I am likely to encounter in the woods. I load it differently during different seasons since I am less likely to run into snakes during the winter. I also usually have an AR in the Jeep and a Mini 30 and an 870 in the tractor because one firearm can not cover all bases and all extremes.

I have a 45 ACP in my truck because I do not have to worry about concealment on my body.

I slip a Bodyguard with laser in my pocket at night around the house when I am piddling around outside because there are quite a few rabid animals around.

I put a SS 357 snubby in my tackle box.

I generally carry the Bodyguard around town during the summer because NC has some strange carry laws and I want to be able to slip it in and out of my pocket easily. I wear a Colt Commander in a IWB holster during the winter. It does not hide very well with light cloths with my body shape.

All extreme cases are not equal. Some are more extreme than others. If you wanted to be protected against almost all extreme cases, then you would need high powered belt fed full automatics and several friend similarly armed. That would even fail you sometimes. A 45 will, indeed, take care of a few more extremes than will a 380. I like the extra firepower when it is convenient. The 380, however, will take care of enough situations to be worthwhile under a lot of conditions.