Originally Posted by George_in_SD
If you do not understand why a gun should be carried in condition one than you are naive or an idiot.

Along the same line of thinking, in the context of a self defense tool, an unloaded gun (Anything but condition one) is about as useful as safety scissors, a pocket knife, or a paperweight; which is to say a bludgeoning or stabbing implement.

While I understand the argument for Condition 1, I disagree with your suggestion that anyone who doesn't carry that way is naive or an idiot. I carry empty chamber and safety off which means I have the same manual of arms for all of my carry weapons, a good thing IMHO because some are safety up and others are safety down to fire. If I was going to carry otherwise it would probably be Condition 2, which still allows the same manual of arms if the safeties are left disengaged, albeit at somewhat higher chance of an AD.

Everyone has to judge for themselves the merits of the various carry methods. It is hardly naive or idiotic to weigh the options and choose something other than Condition 1 based on a person's individual situation. Big Brother carries Condition 1 and has done so for many years. His 280Z also had a hole in the floor on the passenger side because of a thumb slip while lowering the hammer on a 1911. I choose Condition 3 because I estimate the probability of my need for a quick draw and shoot just slightly higher than my chances of winning the lottery jackpot - and I don't buy lottery tickets.

One thing I've learned over the years is that Murphy will have his way. Safeties fail, people screw up, schit happens. Condition 3 is 100% safe regardless of the condition of the safety or the mental condition of the shooter. Yes, it takes marginally longer to make a weapon in Condition 3 ready to fire; yes, it generally takes two hands to do so quickly and reliably. On the other hand, nothing prevents a person from going to Condition 1 or Condition 0 early on if something sets off their alarms.

Walking down the streets of Denver after dark I'd probably go to Condition 1, but I don't do that kind of thing. Walking down the road in my area I rarely even carry at all. Situations vary, as does the appropriate response.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/03/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.