Certainly won't debate how "educated" one gets or doesn't get from a college education, particularly some of the general ed requirements, but I did notice some trends.

In those areas directly related to my field of study I thought the courses were certainly useful and even interesting - botany, soil science, dendrology, etc. Sometimes I wished they'd tell us just why they were useful since a lot of times you wondered why you were studying the stuff.

But what I really noted was the difference in the professors who had some professional background vs. those who had been in college since their freshman year. Those who had engaged in business or "the real world" were able to impart some real practical knowledge or as I mentioned above, could relate to us the importance or the application of what we were studying. Those that hadn't, treated everything as a dry academic subject and incidentally were usually, not always but usually, the biggest pricks for grading or just overall treatment of their students.

Like much of life, college is what you make it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!