Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Dave93
I believe it was Valerius Geist who said that for every trophy taken, one should take 10 immature non breeding animals in order to keep the herds healthy.

Like said before, how do you know that 2 year old dink you just shot doesn't have the genetics of a 200" buck?

There's a lot of emotion and not a lot of science on this thread.
If you're feeling emotional about it, fine, just don't let your feelings replace nature.

I don't see much emotion, but I sure see some stupidity.

Which is the main reason seasons get cut shorter, minimum rack requirements are added, and deer herd quality goes down.

First, you have to be enough of an outdoorsman to recognize what deer need to be taken, what's mature, what's not. What barren means and looks like. And savvy enough to know if you take the lions share of the top genetics out of the heard, then the result will not be favorable.

Then you may need to be enough of a seasoned hunter to pass on a nice, young buck on the chance you may see him next year, or someone else will. Or accept the fact that if you take out the big bucks early in season before the rut, they most certainly won't be breeding any does to improve the herd.

If you want to shoot a big buck, then please do so. If you want to hunt meat and shoot does or dinks, then do that too. Just use your head in either case.

For cryin' out loud, it ain't rocket science.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!