There's spikes, and then their are other spikes. Some need killing. I don't let a 2 year old spike walk.

We have the 13 inch rule in all the counties I hunt. Now I'm seeing quite a few tall, heavy, but narrow racked bucks, some 5 and 6 years old.

We are losing the genes that make for wide racks and also the ones that cause racks with lots of trash on 'em. They get killed as 2 or 3 year olds because they meet the 13 inch inside minimum. The old narrow racked bucks we used to cull just keep passing on those genes until they die of old age.

What I'm gonna say next ain't scientific....... I believe that often the genes that make for impressive racks sometimes pair with genes that make a deer more intelligent. I've observed a gathering of 2 year old bucks and the one with a good rack was just naturally more cautious.

And, NO, in at least two cases for sure, the caution was not born of experience.

And....... Peggy says "Hi" to you also, Blue.

For those of you who don't know...... Blue has forgotten more about managing game than most of this forum will ever know.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place