Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Scott F

But my thoughts wander to looking at the long term effects of hunting for giant heads. When we pass up spikes, forks, and even modest four points to take a monster head are we not taking the best of the genetic pool and leaving the worst?

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I will disagree a bit with the logic. The very biggest muley bucks we kill are 6.5-7.5 yrs old. By letting them get to this age, they have already spread their genes around the place for a good 5 years or so. Best of both worlds to me.

I believe the worst mistake we can make, if you're into managing your land, or managing for trophies, is to shoot those impressive looking 2.5-3.5yr old bucks. I will leave those alone for another 2-3 years at least.

Spot on.

Exactly, like Teal mentioned earlier genetics are there from the time a buck is born until he's dead.

When we buy a young bull for breeding cows he is turned out with the cows. His genetic potential is there right from his first poke until his last. You sure as hell don't keep him penned up for 2-3 years first.

Bulls just become a pain in the ass when they are older anyway.

Lots of old cows, not too many old bulls.

As for the emotional side...

Who doesn't feel a little bad shooting a rutting mule deer right when he is in his prime....

I'm always worried about shooting the 'last big buck' and then have some dink 5 year old fork horn with chit genetics start breeding the does.
That could be bad but doubt it happens all that often.