Last year I was legally entitled to five deer, and three turkeys. I took one of each. I certainly could have taken more, but didn't.

On my current lease I took the #2 deer, an 8 point with 16" spread. The largest was a 10 point with 18" spread. Supposedly deer as large as 22" wide have been killed on the lease, according to the landowner. In hindsight I wish I'd let him go another couple years, but he was a sneaky devil, and I didn't get him until the next to last day of the season. I have no doubt he was breeding a lot of does, and passed on his genes. This year I think I'll take a doe early, then hold out for one bigger than him.

It's nice to have meat in the freezer but I am definitely more selective as I get older. There's a couple of young bucks I passed on last year, and I am real curious to see how they've grown, this year.

I also remember one lease years ago, where the "rule" was, don't shoot a deer under 15" spread. I saw one opening weekend, that I judged a hair too small. Two weeks later the lease manager shot it. It was 14" smirk

You have to let deer get big, to have big deer.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."