Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Justified does not make it right. Just makes it legal...

Y'all have no idea about the hole you're digging in the eyes of average joes who are supportive of law enforcement but don't like justification of abuse.

I can't help that the average Joe thinks that he'd do it differently. I'm not trying to be mean, hateful or overly aggressive. I'm just reflecting years of training and experience.

If Joe wants to come do this job, and get his ass cut or stabbed, I'll be happy to go back into retirement and make room for the guy who thinks he can re-invent the wheel.

One other thing that the average Joe doesn't know. Not counting any other officer I have worked with over the past 22 years, I can say with complete honesty that I cannot count the people that I was justified in shooting, but did not. I've used pepper spray, maglites, kitchen chairs and my fists. I've begged, pleaded and prayed to keep from shooting folks. I've only had to shoot one.

I will, however, repeat the statement made by Pat, which I echoed. If you assault your wife with a knife. Endanger a kid with same, refuse to drop said knife when I tell you to do so at gun point and then do any little thing I believe to be an act of aggression, I will shoot you.

I think those average Joe's he speaks of should go down and sign up for a ride along on a C line tour on a Friday night

Without a doubt, there are a great many good people in this country who have ideas of fairness and goodness they learned from Sunday School, their parents, The Lone Ranger and John Wayne. I do not mock them in the least. I honestly wish our Country could return to those ideals.

Until it does so, however, we are left to put ourselves between those who would prey on our children, our elderly and those who cannot protect themselves.

I still believe, all these years later, that this is a fight worth fighting, and that if we do it right, we can go back to being the police from Mayberry.

If we do not gain control, however, it cannot be done. Andy Taylor didn't carry a gun because he did not have to. The citizens of Mayberry respected him. Even those who passed through, respected the law enough to leave when he indicated it was in their best interest.

All I know is that we cannot win by knuckling under to the wolves.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis