Originally Posted by JMR40
Getting religion out of politics is the 1st step to making this country great again. The church crowd decided during the Carter administration to try to take control of the country by outlawing sin and putting religious nutcases in office.

All this accomplished was turning sinners into criminals and putting nutcases in political offices. It did nothing to improve the country and lowered the church to the level of politicians. This strategy has proven to be a huge failure and needs to end.

Trump is no bigger sinner than any other president in history, a better man than most that have been in the Whitehouse. At least he doesn't pretend to be something he is not to get votes.

For the record, I don't much like him. But he can't possibly be worse than what we've had for 7+ years and is much better than the alternative.

This^^

I never mocked Cruz, if he were the nominee I'd gladly vote for him.

Religion is the #1 qualifier for about 10% of the population, unfortunately 10% percent can't get a president elected, you have to have at least a good part of the rest on board. Like it or not, constant preaching is a major turn off to a large portion of the population. Cruz went over the top and lost a lot of votes that way. Obviously not CC, but he's one vote in a sea of 300+ million.

You can run for office, be a christian, and not constantly preach to people. You can be against abortion and actually talk about other things. A large portion of the electorate of the U.S., voters that are needed to actually win an election, don't want to hear someone preach to them and will tune you out if you start.

If the republicans want to start winning elections they need to STFU with the constant talk of religion. It costs them elections and if you don't win the the democrats get to set policy, pretty simple eh?

Cruz stood no chance of beating Hillary, Trump might stand a chance but it'll be an uphill battle. Beating Hillary is all that matters, if she gets in we're completely screwed.