Bob,

What DocRocket posted is true--but mostly about previous generations of hunters. I've talked to a bunch of PH's about buffalo rifles, and not just those I've hunted with, and the majority think the .375 is just perfect. In fact many use it for their personal buffalo hunting, and the PH I know best, who recently retired at 65, often used his own .375 when guiding buffalo hunters (though he preferred his .458 Lott when guiding elephant hunters). As he noted, this frequently resulted in him being out-gunned by his own clients--but he also had to follow up an finish a number of buffalo shot by those bigger rifles.

The reason for all this, of course, is better bullets, which have improved enormously since the days of Taylor and Nyschens. Back then many hunters preferred solids in the .375 for buffalo hunting, because "softs" weren't reliable penetrators. Today a bunch of .375 expanding bullets work very well on Cape buffalo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck