Bob,

That's pretty much been my experience.

One of the easiest load work-ups I've ever done was for an ULA (pre-NULA Ultra Light Arms) .270 Winchester. This was a "test rifle" Melvin built in the late 1980's to send around to gun writers, but eventually I got it permanently--for a few hours before Eileen picked it up and informed me it was hers. It had a #1 Douglas barrel, 22" long, and weighed exactly 6 pounds with the 2-7x Bausch & Lomb I mounted.

Another gun writer had told Melvin that it shot best with 130's and IMR4350. Up until then Eileen had been using a somewhat heavier .270 with 130 Hornady Spire Points for most use, and 150 Partitions for elk and moose, mostly because we were kinda poor. But by the time the NULA showed up we were somewhat above water, and decided to load 130 Partitions only, for use on everything from antelope on up.

I can't remember the exact powder charge, but muzzle velocity was 3100+ and the groups were in the half-inch range at 100 yards. Eventually tested it at 300 and all the groups were well under 2". She killed a lot of animals with that rifle and load before developing recoil headaches and switching to a NULA .257 Roberts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck