Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by rost495
[
I"ve often wondered WHY shoot an elephant for the brain but nothing else?

Most elephants are taken with heart/lung shots and not brain shots. A brain shot is the preferred target, but harder to hit. Also, elephants are quite easily immobilized with a shot to the pelvic girdle or rear leg bone. As to DRT and the brain, I also have to disagree. Virtually all of the deer (for example), that I've taken with a 257 Weatherby and shoulder shots, have been DRT. In my view the secret is a mix of penetration, shot placement and velocity.

Virtually is the key word there. My 257 Wtby experience mostly mirrors yours with deer/pigs other than I"m not blowing the shoulders or such apart rather simply punching ribs/lungs or heart. Instead of DRT, we get a 30-50 foot run generally. Not enough to worry about. I can see hitting bone, but regardless, virtually is not the same as always.

I'd think, but don't know, that always would be the thing you look for on dangerous game. Rather than virtually.

RE pelvic bone on elephants, thats a preferred shot too? I had not read that. Generally I"ve read very little, but almost all old writings, about braining elephants rather than chest shooting them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....