Interesting and informative thread.

I leave for Africa PG hunt in three weeks. As of now, I have shot probably 500 plus rounds off sticks in various rifles since January. 375 H&H, 9.3x64, 270, 7mm-08, and the 300 H&H that is going on the trip.

In developing loads for the 300 I tested:
200 gr NPT avg 2 plus inches
180 gr NPT avg 1.75 inches
180 gr GMX avg 1.2 inches
180 gr TTSX avg slightly under an inch
165 gr GMX was the same at right at an inch

These are averages for all the loads tested with a particular bullet.

My results do not surprise me at all, which is why I am not a NPT fan. I keep trying them, thinking I will find a good load. But after this last go round, I am done including them in any initial testing. So I have two boxes of 180gr NPT that will be going into the classifieds in the near future.

I finished loading up 200 rounds of the 180gr TTSX tonight and that is what I will be taking.

All I have been shooting lately is the 300 along with plenty of dry fire practice, including off the sticks using local deer as live, dry fire targets. There is only one other rifle I have ever been this comfortable with, and that is a 270 I have owned for over 20 years.

If my buffalo hunt materializes in the next few years, I will be taking my 375 and 9.3x64. The 9.3 already has a good 286gr TSX load ready to go. I tried NPT to no avail, and the 250gr TSX and GMX did not shoot well.

The limited shooting I have done with my 375 is showing promise with the 270gr TSX. Not even going to try a NPT in this rifle. I will see if I can get a matching load with the Hornady 270gr. The 250gr GMX also shoots very well and will get some attention in future load development.

Arcus Venator