Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Getting ready for my safari last summer I shot over 700 rounds of 375 H&H ammunition over a 2 month period, which gave me a sense of really solid familiarity with my rifle. There is no substitute for that sense of confidence when you're in the thick stuff .....
Just take your 375 and be done with the overthinking.

Doc: Im proud of you...I don't know who told you to do that, but hardly anyone ever does...... whistle

I shot over 600 rounds all offhand through my .375 before my buffalo hunt.
I remember thinking the only gun Ive ever had that I felt so familiar with was my Red Ryder ( no schitt...) when I was a kid.....
That level of confidence is indeed unbeatable, and was nice to have more than once on that trip. When it looked like things were about to get hairy there was no doubt about the target getting hit, hence little to no apprehension about the situation(s).

Thanks again, Obi-Wan!! wink

A couple-three guys I truly respect gave me more or less the same advice. My PH suggested a minimum of 300 full-power rounds in the month prior to travel. You suggested 500 rounds, offhand. Another guy recommended 400 light-recoil practice loads, and 200 full power loads.

I bought 200 Hornady cases and loaded them all 4 times. I left 25 rounds with my PH in Africa, and I have about 35 loaded rounds left. So that means something like 745 bullets went down my Caprivi's barrel. About 2/3 of those were "light" practice rounds, which consisted of 300 gr Sierra bullets (which cost 1/3 what A-frames cost) loaded over enough 5744 to give about 2000 fps, and which for all intents and purposes hit to the same POI/POA out to 100 yards. In each range session I'd shoot 40 or 50 reduced-recoil loads, and then 20-30 full power loads (again, using SGK's).

I've taken my 375 to the range a couple times since then, just because. I often take it out of my gun safe and just leave it leaning in the corner by my desk while I work or play on the innanet. I like the feel of it in my hands. I like bringing it up to my shoulder and sighting on one of the sets of horns on the wall, working the bolt, snapping a cap, feeling the wood. It's become my favorite rifle. Funny thing, really.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars