Pets and humans are ultimately judged by their best and worst behavior. In between, is a lot of normal/run-of-the-mill days.

There's some Hell's Angels out there that are stand-up guys, most of the time. Most folks know what they're capable of, on their worst days, though, and wouldn't choose to leave their kids or family around them.

Most dogs spend the majority of their days eating/sleeping/playing/slobbering. I know what pit bulls are capable of on their worst days, though, and it's a helluva lot worse than the average collie/healer/retriever/pointer.

I can find lots of breeds of dogs that'll fulfill the qualifications I have in a pet, and they won't kill me or family on a "bad" day. I can find lots of folks to be my "friend" who aren't bikers/ex-cons/ known psychopaths, too, with known tendencies to deal with conflict in an ultra-violent manner.

Sometimes "good" breeds bite, and sometimes "good" folks screw you over, but I figure the odds are safer with "good" dogs and folks, rather than pit bulls and thugs...